cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 2811 - Backup config

koryjsponaugle
Level 1
Level 1

I've read all of the documentation i can find on the 2811 Router. I understand how to backup the Router config and TFTP the file to my laptop. I understand that the CompactFlash card is constantly having an updated operating system (IOS) image written to it. Now, if i need to replace this Router and apply its adaptation to the new Router, i need to upload the config files to the new Router from my laptop and just slide the CompactFlash card from the orignal into the new Router? Is this correct? I can't seem to get any straight answers about the CompactFlash and its relation to backing up and replacing the Router. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks to you all.

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i need to upload the config files to the new Router from my laptop and just slide the CompactFlash card from the orignal into the new Router?

That's correct.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The flash card holds the IOS image among some other things. You can also copy your configuration file to it.

copy running-config flash:

Once you do that you can pull the flash card from the older router, put it in the new router, boot the new router and then copy the config from flash into nvram (where the config is normally stored).

copy flash:startup-confg running

You may have to manually set a couple of things depending on your config such as SSH, certificates, passwords.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco