Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 7507 - VIP2 card with 2x FE100 cards

Jesse Hottle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 7507 with VIP2 R5K cards. All have one VIP card with 32Mb cpu sdram / 4Mb sdram. On one of the VIP's I have 2x FE100 single port cards. I am seeing CPU time on this VIP reach 50% at times on average. All others have 6% or less CPU usage on average. My question is if it is possible the traffic flowing on these two interface could be affecting Internet browsing speeds and resulting in latency spikes. This same router has a VIP4 card with 256 / 64Mb sdram. Would it make more since to move the FE100 cards over to this VIP4 card with more memory?

Thanks,

jhottle

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

yes a loaded VIP could affect performances, but not in a drastic manner. The jitter, etc can be in the order of few msec, should not be more.

Of course if you have a spare bay in VIP4 it would be good to place your loaded LAN interfaces into it. It is not just a matter of RAM,the VIP4 is much faster as CPU.

Hope this helps,pleaserate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco