Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 7609 architecture

t_mostafa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'll appreciate if you could help me , I have MPLS network , router 7609 connected to voice getaway through Ethernet module 6748,6548 Some time the voice quality not good

When I check the router used commend (show interface) no error or packet drop

Would like to ask you about:

1) we need to know the internal architecture for Module including the B.W rates for internal and external communication with other modules, what are the bottle necks points that we need to consider while planning?

2) For the show commands like show fabric utilization, and show counters interface x/y, we need to know what are the MIB values that these values query so that we can add them to the monitoring system, and if there are any show commands that can display packet drops in any place on the router whether it is a port or bus or backplane or buffer,…

21 Replies 21

Dear Jon,

Sure, you are more than welcomed :)

I think I got your point, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as i know non-fabric line cards can only connected to 32Gbps classic-bus.

Fabric-enabled line cards can be connected to either classic and Switch Fabric (SFM for 6500 series / built in on SP-720 and RSP-720)

BUT Fabric-Only cards can be connected to the Switch Fabric ONLY.

But do you mean that WS-X6548-GE-TX (which is Fabric-Enabled) will get only 8Gbps of 40Gbps even if SFM or SP/RSP720 begins used? and this Is because the PINNACLE ASICs of the line card itself already limit the total ports throughput to 8Gbps?

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

HI Mounir,

Thanks for your POST and that was really helpful.

So, you mean to say based on the support of the SYSTEM Architecture designed we can load the Cards ?

I am really happy that i found this POST to discuss about the Topic that was bugging me for long-time.

Kindly clarify is there any CISCO Documents available to study in details about the SYSTEM Architecture (or) any Tools available like "Error Message Decoder" (as in Tools Section) to analyse the capability / support of the Router before planning to add a CARD in BUS 0 / 1 ?

Kindly provide your recommendations.

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi guruprasadr,

Welcome man.

For Cisco 7200 Series Bandwidth of points:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps341/prod_presentation09186a008009184d.pdf

Show Ver on Cisco 7200 will show you the current consumed bandwidth of points on each bus.

For Cisco 7500 Series Cbus there is a full-book in the below URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801c63a5.html

For Cisco 7600 Architecture and a lot of online PDF's:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/prod_brochure09186a0080092247.html

Hop that help.

Please rate helpful posts.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

Mounir

"But do you mean that WS-X6548-GE-TX (which is Fabric-Enabled) will get only 8Gbps of 40Gbps even if SFM or SP/RSP720 begins used?"

Yes it will. That's really why Cisco position this blade for the wiring closet because used as a server blade it has too much oversubscription.

This blade was one of the early fabric line cards and it only provides 8Gbps to the switch fabric. In theory that means each groups of 6 ports gets 1Gbps each but it is more complicated than that because in reality each group of 8 ports only gets 1Gbps. That's what me & Mohammed were discussing earlier in this thread :-).

Different generations of fabric enabled line cards supports different connections to the switch fabric but as you say one thing all fabric enabled line cards have in common is that they also support a connection to the 32Gbps shared bus.

To summarise

Classic cards can only connect to the classic 32Gbps bus.

Fabric Enabled cards can connect to either the classic bus or the switch fabric dependant on their being either an SFM or a SUP720 in the chassis.

Fabric only line cards can only connect to the switch fabric.

Hope i've answered your question(s)

Jon

Sure that's clarified my question

extremely helpful :)

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

HI Mounir,

Thanks for the Links Provided. Let me first Understand the Documents and then will add my questions in Future.

Have RATED your POST.

:-) I am sending your the G-Mail Chat Invite, please accept & add my ID also in your Chat Friends List.

My G-Mail ID: itguruprasad@gmail.com

Thanks in Advance for your HELP.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

Welcome.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco