Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Access Problem ????

afzaalq007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configure a router at last i enable AAA on the router and the also enable following services

aaa new-model

aaa authorization exec default local

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log datetime localtime

service password-encryption

service udp-small-servers

service tcp-small-servers

and after that i am unable to access router via console

plz ckh also line setting

line con 0

exec-timeout 0 0

password xxx

line aux 0

transport input all

line vty 0 4

password xxx

and the Messege i am getting when i connect console

% Authorization failed.

XXXX con0 is now available

Press RETURN to get started.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

zerozerotito
Level 1
Level 1

hi Afzaal,

i think u should define a username (cuz it seems you wanna use local authentication)

You can use the following syntax to define a local user...

Router(config)# username user1 password password1

Rgrds.. Please Rate all Posts

I think we need authentication when enable authorization. Please check below doc. and search RADIUS Authentication Examples :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca7a8.html

Hope this helps.

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

I believe you need to define "login" before giving the password.

(1)Bypass the router config(NVRAM)

(2)The on con0 give.

Router(config-line)#login

Router(config-line)#password

Regards

JD

JD

In the situation described in the original post it is not necessary to specify login on the console. With aaa new-model login is automatically assumed for the console. When you configure aaa new-model several things about the console and the vty change and the treatment of "login" is one of the things that changes.

I think we need to recognize that the original post included the error message which indicated that it is an authorization error and not an authentication error. But with no authentication specified it will be hard for authorization to work. So I agree that part of the solution is to secify authentication local and to configure at least one user ID and password.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: