Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router crash when starting BGP over a DMVPN network on IOS 15.

Hello,

Does anybody know if I have come across a bug. I have for many years been running BGP over a dual hub IPSEC DMVPN network, the DMVPN network is a backup to a private WAN provider MPLS network, route selection is made by a shorter AS path on the private MPLS network.

Taking it stage by stage, on a new 1941 router I have configured the tunnel interface, and can ping the other tunnel interfaces of my DMVPN network sites, all is stable, I configure BGP peering with my core switch (route reflector), routes are advertised and all is still stable, I turn on BGP peering to my 2 DMVPN Hub sites and bang, the router is gone in seconds. The sh ver when the system returns is :-

uptime is 13 minutes

System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0x21CB788C at 17:00:41 UTC Sun Sep 1 2013

System image file is "flash:c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M2.bin"

Last reload type: Normal Reload

Last reload reason: error - a Software forced crash, PC 0x21CB788C

I tried peering with one hub site, is seemed to run for a couple of minutes, I saw this error :-

*Sep  1 16:59:54.575: %SYS-6-STACKLOW: Stack for process TPLUS running low, 4/6000

Then a minute or two later the router crashed again.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Router crash when starting BGP over a DMVPN network on IOS 15.

Hello,

Most certainly, this is an IOS defect. It just isn't supposed to crash in a fairly common scenario like yours.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any relevant bug recorded in the bug search tool. Either a similar bug has not yet been logged with Cisco, or it is not made public.

Do you have an option of running a different IOS version, perhaps moving to 15.3M? If the bug appears to persist even with a different IOS version, it will be necessary to contact TAC, as this is something only Cisco software engineering can resolve.

Best regards,

Peter

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content