cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router & Internet Bandwidth

HMidkiff
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a 2811 router as my border router.  I have an Ethernet 100MB coming into it for my Internet from my ISP.  I am using an ASA5500 firewall to protect my networking and NAT is being done on that.  The 2811 is just a border router not doing NAT or anything else just routing traffic from the Fa0/0 interface to the fa0/1 interface.   If I test to the ISP's test site I get 90MB at local sites but 30-60MB to there remote sites.  They say this is due to windowing as the distance increases.  The 2811 seems to be running fine.  CPU is 20% during the day and drops to almost 0 at night.  Memory is 6%.

Could the reason I am not seeing higher through put the 2811?  Should I be using a beefer router?

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello HMidkiff,

>> If I test to the ISP's test site I get 90MB at local sites but 30-60MB to there remote sites.  They say this is due to windowing as the distance increases.

ISP stuff is probably right: TCP goodput depends on the BW delay product

see

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/

to be noted TCP window is negotiated between endpoints and does not involve network devices on he path.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco