Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router password issue

This is going to be probably very stupid question to you guys but I'm a new in the cisco routing. We got 2821 router and configured it. It was with default passwords 'cisco' , 'cisco'. I used #enable secret XXXXXX to change password and now when I try to telnet it's asking me for username and password. What suppose to be the username? Am I gonna be asked for username if I use console connection?

Thanks,

2 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Router password issue

Rashey, your question is not stupid at all.

If you have a router configured with a username and password and the login local command configured under line vty 0 4, you will be prompted for the username and password when you telnet to the router.

Example:

username MY ROUTER password MYPASSWORD

line vty 0 4

login local

You will also get prompted for a username and password if you're configured for TACACS, but that's another story. :-)

Try going in through the console.

HTH

If so, please rate this post.

Victor

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Router password issue

Am I gonna be asked for username if I use console connection?

If you enable aaa new-model it will affect all incoming connections to the router and if you forgot to enter an username & password in the configuration, your only choice is rebooting the router.

Hopefully, you didn't save the config after making those changes, if you did, you will have to perform a password recovery.

Let's us know what kind of configuration was entered in addition to "enable secret". That command by itself won't cause the username prompt.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Views
Helpful
Replies