cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router purchase rec for colo and ptp connection

jamie_5th
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for a recommendation for a router purchase at a colo site where we'll be putting in a private line back to our main office.  The colo hosts our web server, and so we will also be using IP transit services provided by the colo facility so the web server will be both public-facing, and able to use a private connection back to our main office to make api calls.

So we'll have two cables coming into the rack at the colo... I'm not quite sure which Cisco router will do for this, and also which WICS to choose.  I'm looking at the 2800 series.  (We currently have a 2801 at the main office).  Would a 2801 or 2811 be overkill for this?  We can spend the money if needed, and don't want to skimp just to skimp, but I'm wondering what the benefits are of the 2811 for example over something like a 1841?  Will the processing power of the 2811 be significantly better than the 1841?

As for the WICS, would we need to purchase two separate WICs, or could we purchase one dual WIC for both connections?  I'm not sure if a dual WIC is only for use by something like a bonded T1...

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem. A 1841 is enough for that. Even better, a 1941 if you can wait the delivery time. In either case, HWIC-1DSU-T1 is the T1 card.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What exact type of circuit will it be connected to ?

It will be connected to both a T1 private line, and to a fast ethernet connection to the colo's network, who provide us IP transit services.

Does this answer your question?  This is a bit of a learning curve for me, so thanks in advance for any thoughts.

No problem. A 1841 is enough for that. Even better, a 1941 if you can wait the delivery time. In either case, HWIC-1DSU-T1 is the T1 card.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Great, thanks for the info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: