Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router Recommendation for Server Deployment at Colo

I need a router recommendation for the following (I tried cisco's recommendation tool but it did not work?).

8-10 Servers providing web hosting (www/email) services will be co-located.

The datacenter is providing a 100Mbit Cat5e network drop.

We need a router to handle 30-40Mbit of traffic at peak.

We don't need voice, vpn or similar features, just data.

Any recommendations appreciated or references I can use to help educate myself on this decision.

We only need 1-2 WAN interfaces. On the LAN side we will link to either a GigE or FastEther unamaged switch.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Router Recommendation for Server Deployment at Colo

a 3725 or 3745 should be able to handle just fine.

the 3745 has higher CPU, NVRAM and BootRom capacity as well as two extra slots.

see this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps282/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007dfd5.html#wp1027696

Gold

What kind of Wan interfaces do you need.

I assume that the LAN interface you talk about is the same one you say the datacenter is providing at 100m.

If your WAN interface is this 100m connection then a layer 3 switch would be your best option since you do not need things like VPN.

Something like a 3845 can run a ds3 at full line rate . If you need 2 ds3 cards then this router may have issues handling this.

If you are going to run oc3 or multiple highspeed interfaves you are going to have to look at a 7200 series router.

Silver

You said the LAN interfaces could either be Gigabit or Fastethernet. Then I will advice you to go for a router with GigE.

The 2821 and 2851 have GigE interfaces as well as the 3800, 7200 (NPE-G1 and above). These routers can deliver 40Mbit/s switching as well.

The main question remaining will be the WAN connections. If your WAN connection will be Ethernet based, then you could go for the 2821 or 2851. However, if it will be anything higher than E3, then 7200 or 7300 with the NPE-G1 engine will be your best. For those in-between, try the 3800.

Check the following link for performance charts

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content