cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router redundancy between 2 separate subnets

tsrader
Level 1
Level 1

How is router redundancy completed between 2 different subnets?  Or can it?

Requirements:
Ext-PC1 and Ext-PC2 need to be able to access Int-Server1 and Int-Server2 regardless of router outages.

My thinking is to put Ext-RTRs and Int-RTRs on the same subnet and run VRRP between them.

Thanks for any help.

2 Replies 2

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

I suppose that this 2 PCs are in different VLANs right? I would go with this solution:

- connection between Ext-RTR1 and Ext-RTR2 and switch stack - trunk;

- subinterface which corresponds to 2 VLANs subnets on both routers (with coresponding addressing);

- HSRP or VRRP with 2 groups configuration on routers - one router primary for one VLAN, second one primary for other VLAN.

HTH,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Your diagram alrealy shows the two Int-RTRs on the same subnet with HSRP/VRRP.  What you want to do is have both Ext-RTRs on both PC subnets, also running HSRP/VRRP.  Additionally you might want both your Ext-RTRs and Int-RTRs to attach to both edge switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card