Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router replace in live network with minimum impact to customer

Hi All

I have a query related to Router replace in live network with minimum impact to customer.

The Router could be any PE/P/ISP Exit Gateway in the Core Network

Say We have two PEs working in a PoP and 500 customers connected to each PE....PE is having all the customers VRF configurations etc. We have to replace the PE with minimum impact to customer.

Any Method of Procedure or Step to follow for the Activity.

Regards

Anil K

7 REPLIES

Did u going to replace with new router

yes...we have to replace the PE with a new router

you  can do it..take the config  back up of existing router just paste it new router and save the configuration... switch off the router and check it wheather configuration still existing.. then install it in existing set up and  remove the cable from old router and connect to corresponding interface thats all  link will restore you wont get much downtime maximum 1 to 2minutes.. if u correctly connected..

Make sure if interface are correct for all the ports same like old router.

Cisco Employee

Dinesh,

Looking at the query I believe there are critical customer hence dont do this kind of acitivty without Maintainence Window---(thats my opinion).

Regards

Inayath

ya iniyath.. usually we will do this type in our MPLS network.. it wont create much downtime.. but important thing is they have connect cable in perfect interface they should locally aware of it.. any way inform the customer  for half an hr downtime and do it.. Do it less business impack hrs.. very easy to do it dont  required much technical stuff  as like me..

Cisco Employee

Hi Anil,

You  need to do this kind of activity during the MW.

Possibly you might have failover configured hence first do the failover to the standby switch hence all the traffic flowing through this would take that path and then go ahed and replace this device.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Hi Anil ,

Dont you have HA running between your both PE ?? .

HTH

Santhosh Saravanan

HTH Regards Santhosh Saravanan
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content