Views
Helpful
Replies

Router use for Ethernet hand off

oneboyblue22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

we are trying to squeeze every ounce of life out of our hardware. Adding bandwidth to our network to accommodate social networking traffic. We are about to order a 200 meg Ethernet circuit with a T3 backup. We have two 3662s. My question: If I install a NM-2FEW2 card in one of them, will that serve as an Ethernet handoff? If not, is there a way to configure the 3662 as a handoff? What would I need to make that happen?

UPDATE: Understand that a 3662 with 100 meg ports probably won't work. What if we add gigabit adapter to 3662, or use a 7206vrx with gigabit adapter?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe that there are several issues in what you are suggesting. First I am not sure that the 3662 can handle a 200 meg connection. Secondly to support a 200 meg connection it seems you would need a Gig interface. But the interfaces that you are dealing with are only 100 meg interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Rick has already touched on, a 3660 series router doesn't have the performance to effectively support 200 Mbps.  For that kind of bandwidth, you would want something like a 3925E, or maybe a 3945.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card