cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routes not working in both directions

julian
Level 1
Level 1

This one has me stumped. I have two 1841s that are going to be used on our Point 2 Point.

I have our LAN on eth0/0 and our SAN on eth 0/1. I have both subnets configure to exit out the serial port to reach the other side.

I can do so successfully from eth 0/0 for LAN traffic but on eth0/1, only one of the routers works, not the other???

They are both setup the same way just in opposite directions. What could be happening here.

LAN --eth0|1841|s0---s0|1841|eth0--LAN

SAN --eth1| |eth1--SAN

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Julian

It certainly sounds like one router has only partial routes to the subnets of the other router. The cause of this might be slightly different depending on whether you set this up with static routes or with a dynamic routing protocol. Perhaps if you supply some more detail we might be able to find the problem.

One good place to start investigating this would be to show ip route on both routers and see if one subnet is missing. Remember that the problem may be that the router where the transaction starts may be missing the route for the destination, or it may be that the other router is missing a route for the response.

If this does not help you find the problem then please supply details of addressing on all interfaces and whether routing is static, dynamic, or what, and post the output of show ip route on both routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion on the sh ip route. Unfortunately my time ran out and I had to pack up and ship the offending router out to it final site. When I get there next week I'll check into the routes and see if I have it configured correctly. As an FYI, I am using static routes.

Julian

I suspect that the show ip route on each router will clarify where the problem is. If the problem persists please post back to the forum including for each 1841 the IP address and mask of the serial and both FastEthernet interfaces, the ip route statements from each router, and the show ip route from each router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card