Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Based on Destination

Benjamin Tincey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have a Cisco 887va with ADSL connection.
I have purchased a second ADSL line to use solely for offsite backups to a data center.

I want to setup a generic router on the new line and plug it into one of the Fast Ethernet ports on the 887va.

Backups are sent to address "ftp.mydatacenter.com" so i want everything going to this address to be routed through the new router/adsl line.

I have given the new generic router ip 172.0.0.1 and plugged it into Fast Ethernet 1 on the 887va.

On the 887va i created vlan3 as follows:

interface Vlan3
ip address 172.0.0.2 255.255.255.0

and on the FastEthernet1 port i have:

interface FastEthernet1
switchport access vlan 3
no ip address

I then added the ip route:

ip route XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.252 Vlan3

(XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP of the datacenter)

This config doesn't work. I am able to ping the new generic router (172.0.0.1) for the 887va.

Any suggestion on what i'm doing wrong?

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Benjamin

When you say it doesn't work how are you testing this ?

If you are pinging from an internal address remember the new router will need a route back to that subnet.

Can you clarify ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

When i say it doesn't work i am testing it by pinging the datacenter IP from the server that creates and sends the backup files.

I can ping the new router (172.0.0.1) from the 887 router but i cannot ping the 172.0.0.1 from the Server. What config do i need for it to work?

What is the server IP ?

Is it just this server that needs access or more devices. If there are more can you specify them.

Also what model is the new router ?

Jon

Benjamin

Bear in mind as well that the IP you are pinging in the DC, does it know it has to send return traffic via the new ADSL link ?

Jon

The server IP is 10.2.1.250 and it is the only device that needs access.

The new router is just a cheap tp-link 8817

The DC knows the new adsl link

Okay then you need to add a route to new router. I don't know the syntax but the IOS example should give you an idea of what to do -

ip route 10.2.1.250 255.255.255.255 172.0.0.2

if you can't add a route to the new router then what you can do is NAT the server IP to the vlan 3 IP address. This would mean the new router would know how to send the traffic back because it is directly connected on that subnet.

If you want to do the NAT then let me know. I would need to know what NAT you have setup up already and which interface the server is reached from on the 887.

Jon

Jon I love you!!!!

i managed to get into the TP-Link cli and added that route.

then i could ping the new router from the server and now backups are sending offsite through the new adsl line:)

I confirmed that it was routing correctly by doing a tracert x.x.x.x (data center IP address)

Thankyou so much!

Benjamin

No problem, glad to have helped.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco