cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing EIGRP issue

Mike Buyarski
Level 3
Level 3

I have 2 sites that we added a cellular card for backup incase the main internet connection goes down. Those 2 routers have vpn connections back to our main site. 1 router a 1921 with version 15.3(3)M2 and card in slot 0/0/0 when main connection fails the cellular card and vpn connected to that interface connects  just fine, and when the main connection comes back online it returns back to the main connection and vpn tunnel on that interface just fine.

Router 2 a 2901 with version 15.4(2)T when main connection fails the cellular card and vpn connected to that interface connects just fine, but when the main internet connection is back online the routing does not update properly and its like the site is down. what I do to get it back up is issue this command "clear eigrp address-family ipv4 neighbors"

the only things different is the model router, IOS ver, and slot the card is in. the only think else I can say is we have to have the verison on the 2901 since that is required to get the 7821 phones to work.

Is this a bug in the IOS on the 2901 that is causing EIGRP to not re-converge properly? 

4 Replies 4

Robert Falconer
Level 1
Level 1

Did you run any EIGRP debugs to see what might be happening?

i did not since i needed to get the location connected back up. I will see if i can run some debugs and get more informkation.

Hi 

Is eigrp running over the VPN? I would guess so.

Sounds like either the VPN is getting stuck or eigrp is not detecting the loss of connection. Could even be an asymmetric routing issue. 

Try enabling "crypto isakmp keepalive 10 periodic" to monitor the ipsec session and reset it if failed. 

Also are both rremotes anchored on the same VPN tunnel at the core? 

Try setting up differing tunnels for each remote with different passwords. 

Hope that helps 

Yes EIGRP is running over the VPN. no i have a different core router that the cellular connection connects to. they aleady have different passwords since they connect to differnt remote routers.

I can tell you the when the main connection comea back to life the main VPN tunnels do come up and i can ping the remote tunnel IP, I just cant ping anything beyond that.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card