Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Routing File Share over WAN

I need to get some advice for configuration of a multi-hop WAN where I need to a file share a one location mapped on a machine at another connected via WAN. When all ports/traffic is open all works fine. Close the traffic down to just the specific ports for file share and all times out. So, I am missing something. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2 REPLIES

Re: Routing File Share over WAN

Hi,

If I have understood the scenario correctly, in essense you want:

1. Remote locations be able to access the File Resources seamlessly as if they were accessing it locally.

2. No traffic/Ports need to be opened other than absolutely neccessary.

There are a few things we must know before we proceed:

1. The File System Resource (Windows, NFS, FTP, TFTP)?

If its Windows File System then a few additional traffic for the ADS and authentication also needs to be opened if its any open protocol like ftp or tftp or NFS its bit less cumbersome.

2. Do you have a firewall appliance?

If you have a ASA FW Appliance thats the best, otherwise you may want to use a IOS Firewall based router or worst case scenario Access-Lists on the routers.

Please provide the info and we shall be glad to help you on this.

Regards

Sam Wilson

Re: Routing File Share over WAN

Sam,

Thanks so much for the response. Your assumptions are indeed correct and yes, i am wanting to be able to access a windows file share so I can "map" the drive for the software my users need (i.e. \\192.168.123.5\share). I have a PIX 501 we could put in there, but right now we have a Router with ACLs running. And, at this moment, we have all ports and such running between the clients and the remote server. Does that help?

Thanks,

Blaine

Views
Helpful
Replies