Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Routing in and out the same interface

Can a Cisco router route traffic it receives back out the same interface, perhaps destined for another segment and with a different destination header?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Re: Routing in and out the same interface

Secondary addresses, you may have more than once, would allow multiple subnets on the same interface.

If the VLAN trunks are supported, you can have multiple logical interfaces on the same physical interface.

3 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Yes it can send traffic out the interface it entered but what level destination header did you have in mind?

Some examples of traffic exiting the inbound interface.

Secondary IP addresses on interface.

Interface IP address, used as gateway address.

(Physically) Different subinterface IP addresses.

I was basically trying to artificially make it as if the router had three interfaces instead of two. That way I could take incoming traffic on one interface, and route it to one of two different subnets. I guess one interface can have a secondary IP address as you mentioned above? Confusing. Thanks for the reply!

Super Bronze

Secondary addresses, you may have more than once, would allow multiple subnets on the same interface.

If the VLAN trunks are supported, you can have multiple logical interfaces on the same physical interface.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content