Replies

Routing Issue can ping subnet routers switches not PC

Zahan Al-Rashid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, hope you are well,

I have a static entry for route which is:

S   192.168.200.0/22 [1/0]  via 194.101.55.4

However the odd thing is I can ping 192.168.203.1 (Router address) and 203.2 and 203.3 (SVI) but not specific PCs on thouse routers and switches. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it as the tracert below is Odd as well, it routes correctly for pings to 203.1 and 2 and 3 however when I ping 192.168.203.38 (a PC on one of the switches/routers) it appears to be sent on a different route even though there is a static route for it! see below screen shot of tracert:

odd tracert.bmp

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot do your troubleshooting from your PC.

First thing you need to make sure that you don't have more specific information in your RIB/FIB for that sample IP  (192.168.203.38).

For that compare on the router where you added the /22 static

show ip cef 192.168.203.1 with 192.168.203.38.

If the forwarding output is the same you need to connect to the second hop (the one replying with 194.101.55.4) and see its RIB/FIB.

Maybe the RIB points to wrong/different next hops. Anyway there are so many plausible explanation that it is not worth speculating. You need to do the above checkings first.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot do your troubleshooting from your PC.

First thing you need to make sure that you don't have more specific information in your RIB/FIB for that sample IP  (192.168.203.38).

For that compare on the router where you added the /22 static

show ip cef 192.168.203.1 with 192.168.203.38.

If the forwarding output is the same you need to connect to the second hop (the one replying with 194.101.55.4) and see its RIB/FIB.

Maybe the RIB points to wrong/different next hops. Anyway there are so many plausible explanation that it is not worth speculating. You need to do the above checkings first.

Riccardo

Your right, the issue was to do with NAT. Althought it was  failing to PAT on the DMZ interface, I resolved it by adding a NAT  Exempt on the Outside interface. Not sure why that workek!

Regards

Zahan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco