cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issue on home network

libbistovall1
Level 1
Level 1

Please take a look at the attached diagram; I made the diagram in packet tracer, but it is just a diagram of my home network. I have also attached the config and route info for both routers.

The PC in Raleigh can ping the Seattle router, but the Seatlle router can't ping the Raleigh PC. The Seattle traceroute to the Raleigh PC dies at the Raleigh routers serial port.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can do debug icmp on Raleigh but before doing that can you add this to your Raleigh configuration -

access-list 101 permit icmp any host 192.168.4.2 echo

access-list 101 permit ip any host 192.168.4.2

int fa0/0

ip access-group 101 out

then ping from Seattle and see if the acl has had any hits.

This should tell us if Raleigh is actually forwarding the ping to the PC.

If it does then can you -

access-list 102 permit icmp host 192.168.4.2 any echo-reply

access-list 102 permit ip host 192.168.4.2 any

int fa0/0

ip access-group 102 in

this should tell us if the PC is responding.

Jon

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before looking into routing issues etc. can you just check there is no firewall running on your PC and if there is either allow ICMP echo or temporarily disable it to test.

Jon

The Windows Firewall was already turned off. The Norton Firewall was on. I disabled it, but still had the same problem - I could not ping the Raleigh PC from Seattle.

Can you ping 192.168.4.1 from Seattle ?

Can't see anything obviously wroing with your configuration.

What does the rotuting table on Raleigh look like ?

What is the default gateway on the PC ?

Jon

Thank you Jon for looking into this.

No, I can not ping 4.1 from Seattle. The default gateway on the PC is 192.168.4.1 (the f0/0 on Raleigh). I have attached the RIP database for Raleigh.

Can you post Raleigh's routing table not RIP database.

Jon

Certainly.

This does not explain why you can ping from the PC but in the Raleigh route table there is no entry for the 192.168.4.0/24 network. It should be showing as a directly connected route.

This means also that Dallas doesn't learn it, which it hasn't as i checked your other post.

And yet Seattle does which doesn't make sense because Seattle would receive it from Dallas but Dallas doesn't have it.

So you need to check all your connections and make sure what you have drawn in PT is actually what you have.

Jon

Thanks Jon. The laptop must have been asleep when I ran the show ip route. It was asleep when I just went in there and the show ip route did not have the 4.0 network. I woke up the laptop and the route is there. I went back to the Seattle router. The 4.0 is in its routing table, but I still can't ping the Raleigh laptop. I can still trace to the serial interface on the Raleigh router, but not to the Fast ethernet port. 

You can do debug icmp on Raleigh but before doing that can you add this to your Raleigh configuration -

access-list 101 permit icmp any host 192.168.4.2 echo

access-list 101 permit ip any host 192.168.4.2

int fa0/0

ip access-group 101 out

then ping from Seattle and see if the acl has had any hits.

This should tell us if Raleigh is actually forwarding the ping to the PC.

If it does then can you -

access-list 102 permit icmp host 192.168.4.2 any echo-reply

access-list 102 permit ip host 192.168.4.2 any

int fa0/0

ip access-group 102 in

this should tell us if the PC is responding.

Jon

Before I do the access lists Jon, let's look at something I discovered. I knew yesterday that the Wan card on the Raleigh router was screwed up; I had to put the cable in the slot labeled s0/0 but that was actually the s0/1 - ie I configured s0/1 with the cable in s0/1 and show ip int brief showed down/down. I moved the cable to s0/1 and poof - it came up. Curiosity got me, so I wiped the s0/1 config, configed s0/0 and moved the cable back to the slot labeled s0/0. I figured they had just criss crossed them, but the s0/0 did not work.

Just now, I decided to se if the screwed up Raleigh WAN card would be screwed up in the Dallas Router - it was not. S0/0 is S0/0 and S0/1 is S0/1 with the card inserted into the Dallas Router. I took the card out of the Seattle Router and put it into the Raleigh Router - it is exhibiting the same screwed upness. Could the slot in the router becausing this? There is an ISDN card in the Raleigh Router I could pull and move the serial card over there. I think I will try that.

You can see the pics of my network.  

I have not seen a slot cause these sort of issues ie. you can ping all the way from the PC to Seattle but not the other way round.

Still it is worth a try so by all means give it a go and let me knw what happens.

Jon

Jon,

Your access list solution worked. I don't know why Dallas and Seattle could no longer see the 4.0 network and why the PC was no longer pinging its gateway. Your right, I had to resolve that first. I moved the PC over to Raleigh's fa0/1 and it was back to the way things had been - Dallas and Seattle knew about the 4.0 network, the PC could ping Seattle, but traceroute from Seattle died at Raleigh's serial port. 

I did the two access list 101 commands on the router and the one on the interface and wahla! Seattle pings the PC. I went ahead and made the second access list 102, but I'm not clear on its significance since the 101 did the trick. I still have last semester of Netacad to go and we haven't gotten into access lists yet. I think I will go watch the CBT Nugget video I have on access lists so I can better understand why your solution worked.

If you have time, would you take a look at my Telnet issue https://supportforums.cisco.com/comment/9563981#comment-9563981 

Well i'm glad it worked but i may not have explained myself very well.

The acl was not there to fix the issue, it was there to see if packets were actually being delivered to the PC and the second acl was intended to show whether or not the PC was actually sending packets back to the router in response to the ping.

The acl should not have fixed the problem unless you already had an acl applied which it replaced.

Jon

I deleted the config before setting it up. Your instructions say that after you 1st four steps that I should ping from Seattle to see if the lists had any hits; so you didn't expect the ping to successfully get to the PC, just that they would register on the acces list. Just before I did the access lists, I had changed the Raleigh PC to fa0/1 from fa0/0. I tried three times pinging then from Seattle to the PC, but it failed. Then I did the access list and whala! Maybe ethernet change is what did it, but it took time to propogate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card