cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issue while redisributing BGP into OSPF

vinodpol
Level 1
Level 1

We have two 7206 R1 and R2 connected to diffrent 4503 switch running OSPF. Two switches are connected with each other via trunk and all this in area 0. R1 is connected to other locations with OSPF on one carrier and R2 is connected to other locations with BGP on another carrier for redudancy. We are redistributing BGP routes into OSPF. We want to do load balancing on both links which is not happening as switches are learning OSPF routes (IA) and redistributed BGP route (E2) both but giving preferance to IA. Can some one tell how can I achive load balancing in this case?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vinod

Redistributing BGP into interior protocols like OSPF is frequently a problem. But you question was not about whether to redistribute BGP but is about how to use some routes from BGP and some routes from OSPF and I will answer that question.

According to the specification of the protocol OSPF will always prefer an InterArea route (IA) to an External route (E2). So that is why you are seeing the result that you have been getting. And you can not change the protocol behavior. So my suggestion is if you really want to do this we must make the IA routes look like external routes. The best way to accomplish this would be to run 2 OSPF processes on R1. Run one OSPF process in the interfaces connecting to other locations and run a second process on the interface connecting to the 4503 and to R2. Then redistribute between the OSPF processes. That way the routes from other locations will be External routes when they get to the 4503s and you should then be able to load balance.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rburts,

This is looks like the workable option. I will check this and let you know.thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card