Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Issue

tiger_401
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have two sites for example site A and site B. Both the sites are connected with P2P wireless orthagon which is currently working in transparent mode. On site A there is one L2 3Com switch and on site B there is also L2 3Com switch. Orthagon on site A is connected with the L2 3Com switch similary orthagon on site B is connected with L2 3Com switch. Both the switches are in different networks. Like for example switch on site A is running 10.10.10.0 /24 network and site B switch is running 192.168.10.0 /24 network. As orthangon are in transparent mode they can ping each other.

But the issue is that i want to ping from site A switch to Site B switch.

How can i accomplish this task.

What can be the possbile scenarios.

What cisco hardware i need to purchase to fullfill my task.

Please also gudie me about the physical connectivity. Do i need a router at both sites or one router will be enough.

Please guide me in this scenario.

Your consideration in this regard will highly be commendable.

Thanks & Regards,

Malik.

2 Replies 2

RAMACHANDRA R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Malik,

Assign IP address to VLAN 1 interface of Location A switch to 10.10.10.XX/24 and Assign same segment IP address ( 10.10.10.XX/24 )at Location B switch too for VLAN 1 Interface. then you should be able to reach switches from Both sides.

Regards

Rama

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Malik,

if I understood correctly you want to make the two switches management ip addresses to communicate.

if 3COM switch supports secondary ip address on management interface you could fix in this way.

otherwise you should put both in the same ip subnet.

There's no need to add a router to your scenario just for this.

However if you still want to do this you need to verify if your wireless link carries traffic of different vlans (what is called a L2 trunk link ) or all frames are not vlan tagged.

In second case the router has to use ip address secondary.

if vlans are used the router can make inter-vlan routing to make the two switches to communicate

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: