Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

routing issue

Hi,

I have a network with 3 branches

Branch A - Main Center HQ

Branch B - Main Branch Office

Branch C - Small Branch Office

Branch A connects to Branch B on Router-1

Branch C connects to Branch B on Router-2

both router in Branch B are connected to a Switch on the LAN Side 192.168.10.x network.

192.168.10.2 on Router-1 LAN Int Fa0/0

192.168.10.5 on Router-2 Lan Int Fa 0/0

Branch A and Branch B are connected over OSPF on Router-1. Branch C and Branch B are connected using static route over Router-2.

From Branch A- am able to reach Branch B and Branch C.

From Branch B- am able to reach Branch A and Branch C.

From Branch C- I am not able to see Branch A.

If ping from Branch C Router to Branch B WAN interface (Fa0/1) i am able to ping. I am able to ping the LAN interface (Fa0/0) ie- 192.168.10.5 also, but i am not able to ping the same range IP 192.168.10.2 configured on the Router-1 Lan interface Fa0/0.

Branch C router has a default route pointing to the Branch B Router2 WAN Interface (Fa0/1).

what could be the problem? how can i make this work? a route-map can work or not?

Apreciate your valuable input.

regards

Jacob

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: routing issue

Jacob

The obvious thing to check is Router-1 routing table to see if it knows how to get to Branch C.

When you ping from Branch C what is the source IP address and does Router 1 know how to get to this.

Remember you can specify the source address on Branch C router when you ping ie.

ping 192.168.10.2 source

Jon

Hi Jon,

On Router-1 there is a static route for Branch C Local network (192.168.20.x) pointing to the Lan interface (fa0/0)

192.168.10.5 of Router2.

ip rouet 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.5

In this case if i Ping from 192.168.20.x or the sourece as 192.168.20.x it should be pinging up to 192.168.10.2 right?

From Branch C router it was not an extended Ping we did, i will check this and update Jon.

But again, if i have to reach the LAN of Branch A, i have to specify a router-map on the Branch B Router2..! am i right?

Thanks and Regards

Jacob

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Jacob

"From Branch C router it was not an extended Ping we did, i will check this and update Jon."

The Branch C router will use it's WAN interface as the src address by default. Check that router 1 has a route back to this address.

You do not need to use route-maps, this is a simple routing issue unless there is something else you have not explained fully.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies