Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Routing issue

I need to know how to keep a connected interface from showing up in the routing table. Or have a static route with a higher priority than a connected interface.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Routing issue

David

I am curious why you need to keep a connected interface from showing up in the routing table? Or to have a static route with a better Administrative Distance than a connected inteface?

I am not aware of any way to keep a connected interface from showing up in the routing table (other than to shut it down - which seems self defeating). I can think of a way to get static routes to take precedence. The connected interface will have a certain subnet mask (for the sake of an example lets assume that it has a /24 mask). If you create two subnets that divide the subnet (so for example create two subnets with /25 masks) then the routing logic will prefer the more specific route and will follow the static route rather than the connected interface.

HTH

Rick

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Routing issue

If the connected interface is the only one connected from that network, you might consider adjusting the administrative distance the router assigns to that routing protocol. By default a connected interface is at distance= 0 (zero) and a static route is at distance=1 (one). See Doc ID 15986 on Administrative Distance on CCO for more details.

Hope this helps, Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies