Views
Helpful
Replies

routing loop avoiding in BGP

rite2anil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two routers connected back to back and One ISP providing two MPLS links running on BGP. Kindly suggest the method as I want to get my data from my primary Link via BGP and when primary goes down, the data should route via secondary link ( running on bgp). I have set the local preference high on the primary end and put low on the secndary end but this is not working, I am gettinh the remote end routes via both the links.

Please help.

Regards,

Anil K.

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You will always have the 2 paths in the BGP table but now the best route will be the one with higher local preference.

And this route will be installed in the routing table.Don't forget to do a route-refresh(clear ip bgp * in) for the local preference change to take effect).

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

What Cadet suggessted will work for outbound redundancy. I would talk with your ISP, and make sure that inbound redundancy will work as well. They could just have a static route for your network range such as 4.4.4.0/25, going to R1, and if R1 fails, your outbound redundancy (with what Cadet suggested) will work great, but your inbound redundancy could fail.

I'm assuming you have multiple routers since you said back to back.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card