cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing problem or not?

bradlesliect
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect Site A to a host on C. This both connect to my network which is site B

There is a route from Site B to site C but when I do a 'show ip route' for that particular host from Site A, I get "% Network not in table"

When I do a traceroute to host from Site A, it dies on the interface that Site A connects to on Site B. When I do 'show ip route' for the host(Site C), it knows how to get there.

Coincidently, both sites A and C are connected to the same router on site B.

What other information can I give you to help me solve this problem?

5 Replies 5

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

HI ,

Yes it is routing issue.

Just give the following ip route on site A.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Hope this resolves your problem.

Another solution.

Add the routes to site B and site C on site A router.You need to add two routes on site A router.One is for Site B and other one is for site C' lan range.

If you add default route on site A , no need to add two routes mentioned in second step.

Thanks,

satish

I already have a default route statement on A pointing down the serial interface to site B.

A show ip route of the host I'm trying to connect to at Site C, shows me that this router knows how to get to the host at Site C.

When I do show ip route (Host IP on Site C), I get '% Network not in table'. Should the default route 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0' not take care of this?

What am I missing / not seeing?

Hi Brad

Does site C know how to route back to Site A ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

According the the administrator they do. I dont have access to site C router or their firewall. Will need to pose the necessary questions tomorrow.

What else do I need to ask?

Hi Brad

Is the firewall in the path of the traffic from site A to site C. If so they will need to confirm they are allowing icmp through to hosts in Site C.

If not they need to confirm they have a route back to Site A's subnets or at least the IP address range you are using at Site A.

HTH

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card