cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing protocol for MPLS WAN

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have several sites interconnected using a MPLS WAN. The vendor does not provide any type of routing protocol over the MPLS and I would like to run one over it so I can failover to other links I have available. Since the MPLS doesn't support multicast my first thought was to create GRE tunnels thru the MPLS so I can run RIP and get the job done quick and dirty. Then I thought that I would like to try to accompish this in a more "elegant" fashion with a unicast routing protocol. I am hoping someone can suggest something that will work in this situation. Hopefully the suggestions won't include OSPF which seems rather complicated to implement.

Thanks,

Diego

8 Replies 8

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Diego,

Pls clarify , what is that you have an mpls WAN . Is that you have enabled MPLS over the WAN links you have and running static routes over it and you want to migrate it to some routing protocol.

Pls clarify

regards

vanesh k

The MPLS vendor provides the circuits and rotuers. Basically, I am using static routes now to point traffic to the MPLS routers. If the MPLS router or circuit goes down I have no way of knowing and must modify the static routes to use alternate circuits.

Hi ,

You can try using EIGRP over the GRE tunnel.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009438e.shtml

Just wanted to clear you one thing on the first part that mpls doesnt support multicast,But here you are going to run RIP over your GRE tunnel , so the final outcome is a multicast over your GRE , which is on ip .So it should also work over your provider MPLS Core.You can also run unicast updates in RIP by configuring the " individual neighbor command under rip "

Hope it helps

regards

vanesh k

I am trying to avoide building GRE tunnels to avoide complexity. I am not familiar with using unicast with RIP. Does it work like multi-hop with BGP? Because it seems that multi-hop BGP is what I need to do or at least something similar.

Diego

Hi Diego,

As you asked for something on GRE , I said that you can also run rip over the GRE , but you cannot do just like BGP .

You can do bgp , but it needs the help from your provider , because BGP is a routing protocol and can help you in learning the routes but doesnot do any traffic encapsulation .If all the ips are public ip's and routed by the provider then you can go ahead and do BGP if all the links you have are Serial links and provider doesnot do any routing changes .

Hope this helps

regards

vanesh k

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

First of all let me clear you, MPLS Support following things

1) Unicast IP routing

2) Multicast IP routing

3) mpls TE

4) Qos

5) MPLS VPN

6) AToM

As per me MPLS support multicast IP routing, i.e RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP ..

send me your detail diagram...

-Minu

Tony.henry
Level 1
Level 1

Diego,

BGP springs to mind as something that could work for you.

I see tunnels as a complicated way of achieving what you'd like to get done.

Tony

Hi,

if it is "only" about failure detection you could also use Optimized edge routing. Basically you instruct the router to check connectivity - f.e pings or TCP connnects _ to a configurable IP. This could f.e. be a server in your data center or a router at the main site. If connectivity fails you can specify a backup which should be used.

For a more detailed description and configuration examples f.e. have a look at "Primary and Backup WAN Links Using Cisco Optimized Edge Routing"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns471/networking_solutions_white_paper0900aecd802b8e68.shtml

Regards, Martin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card