cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing question and bkup

dave dave
Level 1
Level 1

hi! I've a main connection using mpls to our corporate wan, and a backup link using cisco ASA + one link to the internet. The backup link to corporate thru ASA tunnel will only kick in when the main mpls line failed.

I understand that i can use floating static route to do the job eg.

router ospf

network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 area 0     (advertise all internal route)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 internetgw     (default gateway to internet)

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.2.2.2 240   (route to the asa tunnel)

My question is that, can i not run ospf in this case just to fulfill the floating static route rule?

can i use something like the static route below to meet my objective? Will the routing table get updated if the mpls line is down and the backup link will be active? I don't actually need ospf to advertise the internal route, because i only have 3 segments internally in the LAN.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0.0 internetgw         (default gateway to interent)

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.2.2.2 240   (route to the asa tunnel)

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.2.2.3 200   (route to mpls line)

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are exchanging ospf routing with MPLs provider then you can not use the static route as in this case the LAN won't be advertised !

Using two floating static routes in general requires the use of ip sla to make network aware if the link down

Hope this help

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Dave,

If you are using floating statics then you need to have some IP tracking as marwan suggested otherwise you will be blackholing traffic. Create some IP SLA tracking and you should be fine.

HTH

Kishore

hi thks so in short I need to run ospf to distribute these floating static route(sla tracking is configured) for this active n bkup link concept to work? The setup of 2 static routes with different ad will only work in the internal LAN env and not mpls?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card