Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Question

xbaha12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how the routing would work if i had the following static routing table:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1

ip route 200.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 Dialer2

Which of the Dialers would the router go through if i requested an address that starts with 200 ?

thanks

4 Replies 4

rwyates_2
Level 1
Level 1

Should use Dialer 2. It will match to the most specific route known.

rajinikanth
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

The command

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer 1

defines a default route and also the gateway of last resort in routing table.

This default route is only used when there is no route to the requested destination in the routing table.

Since your routing table has route to 200.0.0.0 network via dialer 2

This route will be prefered over the dialer 1 route.

Hope this helps you,

Thanks,

Raj

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

your first line is default route and it will be used when there are no matches in the routing table... so traffic that did not match any of the entry in the routing table for the given destination... then that packet will forwarded as per the DEFAULT ROUTE...

regards

Devang

Hello,

This is how route recursion happens:

You router will try to find the longest match. This means the router will search for more specific match for the destination.

If one match is found the router will use it.

If two matches are found the router will check if they are from the same routing protocol or different routing protocols.

If both routes are from the same routing protocols the one with a lower metric is used.

If routes are from different protocols the one with lower administrative distance is used.

If non of the above is true the router will fall back to last resort known as the default route.

The above explanation will let you answer the question,

Please rate if you find my post helpful,

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card