PIX |

^ Router2

| |

LAN -> Multilayer Switch -> Router1 -> frame relay cloud

Multilayer Switch - 10.4.0.84

Router1 - 10.4.0.1

Router2 - 10.4.2.1

PIX - 10.4.0.3

I have my Multilayer switch configured with connected and static routes for my different VLANs that are then redistributed back into RIP, which is what is running on the frame relay network. That is the case at all our various locations, and that is how our RIP routing table gets populated. To confuse matters, each location has configured thier LAN subnets to use EIGRP. For instance, my multilayer switch communicates its vlans to my router using EIGRP, however I need to create static routes for each of those VLANs so they can be redistributed back into RIP, since from what I understand it's not easy to redistribute EIGRP into RIP since they use different metrics. My first question is, would it be more prudent to advertise those routes that are now configured as static in order to be redistributed into RIP or can I redistribute EIGRP easily (within reason) back into RIP? Or can I do away with EIGRP and just use RIP? This came about because, based on the diagram above, I'm trying to route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 traffic to my PIX and Internet connection, but I'd like to have the ful l routing table on my multilayer switch, or at least some sort of appropriate routing for my environment. I've attached some routing output from my routers.

Thank you,

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bill

The fact that EIGRP and RIP use different metrics is not much of a problem at all for redistribution. When you redistribute EIGRP into RIP you just specify a default metric in RIP. So that part is simple.

The potentially more serious challenge in redistributing EIGRP into RIP is that EIGRP supports VLSM - and your routing table on the switch shows that within network 10 some subnets are /24 and some are /30. RIPv1 does not support VLSM and redistributing EIGRP into RIPv1 does not work with various subnet lengths. But I note in the routing table of the router that RIP has some subnets of network 10 at /16, some at /24, and at least one at /25 so I assume that you are running RIPv2 which does support VLSM. Redistributing EIGRP into RIPv2 works pretty well.

I have not looked carefully at everything in the file. But based on what I have seen so far I believe that trying to create static routes to redistribute into RIP rather than redistributing EIGRP into RIP is way more complicated than you need to be. I see no reason why redistribution of EIGRP into RIP should not work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bill

The fact that EIGRP and RIP use different metrics is not much of a problem at all for redistribution. When you redistribute EIGRP into RIP you just specify a default metric in RIP. So that part is simple.

The potentially more serious challenge in redistributing EIGRP into RIP is that EIGRP supports VLSM - and your routing table on the switch shows that within network 10 some subnets are /24 and some are /30. RIPv1 does not support VLSM and redistributing EIGRP into RIPv1 does not work with various subnet lengths. But I note in the routing table of the router that RIP has some subnets of network 10 at /16, some at /24, and at least one at /25 so I assume that you are running RIPv2 which does support VLSM. Redistributing EIGRP into RIPv2 works pretty well.

I have not looked carefully at everything in the file. But based on what I have seen so far I believe that trying to create static routes to redistribute into RIP rather than redistributing EIGRP into RIP is way more complicated than you need to be. I see no reason why redistribution of EIGRP into RIP should not work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I tried redistributing eigrp into RIP by entering the following commands

router eigrp 100

redis rip

but after removing the static route for a particular VLAN, return traffic doesn't make it past Router1.

my bad, should have redistributed the other way

router rip

redis eigrp 100 met 1

it's working now, thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card