cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing through a GRE Tunnel

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Let's say for instance I have a GRE tunnel configured between two routers. The routers will be RouterA and RouterB.

RouterA

------------

int s0/0

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

int tunnel0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

tunnel source s0/0

tunnel destination 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

RouterB

------------

int s0/0

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

int tunnel0

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

tunnel source s0/0

tunnel destination 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

So, on RouterA, I want to create a static route to the x.x.x.x x.x.x.x network through the tunnel. Would the statement be

ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 1.1.1.1 ???

I also assume that you must have network reachability between the tunnel source and the tunnel destination and vice versa.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Network X -Router A- Tunnel Ip Add 1.1.1.1------------------------------------------- 1.1.1.2 Tunnel Ip Add-Router B- twork Y

Router on A ----- for nextwork Y on router A route will point to 1.1.1.2

Router on B ----- for network X on router B route will point to 1.1.1.1

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

Yes. next hop IP would be the tunnel IP address on 2nd router.

Router A-ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 1.1.1.2

Router B-ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 1.1.1.1

Thanks

Ajay

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

I also assume that you must have network reachability between the tunnel source and the tunnel destination and vice versa.

Yes and nothing blocking the tunnel packets.

BTW, on GRE tunnel, the tunnel can appear up/up when it's not.  Pinging the other side of the tunnel should confirm tunnel is fully operational.  (NB: for GRE tunnels, using keepalives will take the tunnel down if the other side can't actually be reached.)

Thanks for the help. Just to be sure...

On RouterA if I want to route to the X network through the tunnel the configuration is as follows

RouterA

------------

ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 1.1.1.2 (not 1.1.1.1)

?

Network X -Router A- Tunnel Ip Add 1.1.1.1------------------------------------------- 1.1.1.2 Tunnel Ip Add-Router B- twork Y

Router on A ----- for nextwork Y on router A route will point to 1.1.1.2

Router on B ----- for network X on router B route will point to 1.1.1.1

Thanks everyone for making this better understood.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card