Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Routing through a switch.

Something just struck me as I'm about to implement a design and it seems rather silly but I've never done it before.

If I have a network that goes roughly like this:

router A --> router B ---> switch ---> router C --> router D

I'm running OSPF, would the switch between router B and C pose a problem with the routings? Anything special needs to do be done on the switch? Assuming its not one of the routing switches.

The interfaces connecting router B, switch and router C would be on the same subnet of course.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Routing through a switch.

Hi,

No if it acts as a layer 2 switch, it shall have nothing to do with routing, then there should be no problem. But as you said the interfaces connecting router B and router C must be on the same subnet of course.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Hi

if the switch is just acting as a layer 2 switch then there will be no problem. Router B and router C will see each other as OSPF neighbours and form an adjacency.

HTH

Jon

2 REPLIES

Hi,

No if it acts as a layer 2 switch, it shall have nothing to do with routing, then there should be no problem. But as you said the interfaces connecting router B and router C must be on the same subnet of course.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Hi

if the switch is just acting as a layer 2 switch then there will be no problem. Router B and router C will see each other as OSPF neighbours and form an adjacency.

HTH

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content