Helpful
Replies

Routing to same destination with multiple serial interfaces

abdulnahas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please help. This is an urgent issue.

Our clients (LAN & WAN) use the Galileo GDS application which needs to communicate to 57.8.81.13 destination. For this we have been provided by an analog lease line & router by the service provider which has a limitation of max 60 IP addresses(Subnet 10.243.6.0). Since we are expanding & had run out of IP addresses, Now the service provider has given us another serial link & router with 60 more IP addresses (10.243.42.0).

We are facing a problem in routing to the destination 57.8.81.13 from the PIX for the second link because PIX is not accepting more than one route to the same destination, we also had tried the metric option but did not work.

If we install both the Lease Line serial interfaces in a single router & all our client application traffic use this router, will our problem be resolved.

Please help. This is very urgent. If any info is required will be provided.

Regards

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abdul

I am not sure that I fully understand your situation and your requirements. But certainly a router can have two serial links and can route to the same destination over both of them. So it sounds like a router can satisfy your requirements.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply.

To give you a broader view.

LAN---->DMZ1 Gal---->Gal Router1--->Gal Srvr

Gal Srvr ip 57.8.81.13

Gal Router1 network 10.243.6.0

LAN IP 10.11.11.x

When our client PCs (LAN & WAN) request access to the Galileo server (57.8.81.13) the PIX NATs to Galileo IP & forwards the request to the Analog Galileo router. Everything works fine.

Since we had run out of IP address on the 1st GAL link. The service provider gave us another link with a router & subnet .

LAN--->DMZ2 GAL--->GAL Router2---->Gal Svr

Gal Server ip 57.8.81.13

Gal Router 2 Network 10.243.42.0

How can i give clients access to the application using the 2nd GAL subnet, since PIX is not accepting 2 routes to the same destination. We also tried the metric option.

Is there any work around for this.

Regards

Abdul

There is an aspect in your explanation that I am not sure that I understand. You describe a connection from LAN to DMZ1 and Router1 and a connection from LAN to DMZ2 and Router2. Are there two different DMZs and two different routers?

Would it work to have PCs with addresses in block 1 to set their default gateway to Router1 and for PCs with addresses in block2 to set their default gateway to Router2?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

yes, there are two DMZs with two different routers. The PCs are on separate VLANs with all the outbound traffic (Internet, Galileo) passing through the PIX LAN interface.

I am attaching a brief visio jpeg of the network scenario for more clarity.

We have requested the Gal. service provider to give us one router with 2 Serial interfaces.

Please advise your suggestion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card