Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing via Core

Chad Campbell
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I need a little advice and expertise, I am new to this.

I have a point to point 1Gb link, from my location to another location, every now and then it goes down, at that remote location is dead in the water.

So we have added a VPN in the picture, so I am going to use IPsec site to site VPN as a failover.

I am wondering what is a good way to remove the route from the core to forward the traffic when the line becomes unavailable.

I was thinking about IP SLA monitoring and maybe ICMP the other interface on the core switch, and when it stops replying forward the traffic to the ASA, and do the same thing at the remote location? I am wondering how that will work when the link comes back up also? I am really confused please help and provide your expertise.

Thanks,

Chad

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello chad,

Ip sla could work depending on your setup the below would work for static routing -

ip sla 10
icmp-echo (dst-ip) source-ip x.x.x.

freq 5
timeout 2000 (2secs)

ip sla scheduled 10 life forever start now

ip route (remote location_nework subnetmask primary nexthop track 10 1
ip route (remote location_nework subnetmask secondary nexthop 2

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

hello

If the inferface is down then the ip sla sourced address isn't available and it will failover to the higher admin of the secondary static.

You can also invoke object tracking with ip sla

track 10 rtr 10 reachability
 delay down 30 up 30

or just use object tracking without ip sla:

Track 10 interface x/x ip routing | line-protocol
delay down 30 up 30

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello chad,

Ip sla could work depending on your setup the below would work for static routing -

ip sla 10
icmp-echo (dst-ip) source-ip x.x.x.

freq 5
timeout 2000 (2secs)

ip sla scheduled 10 life forever start now

ip route (remote location_nework subnetmask primary nexthop track 10 1
ip route (remote location_nework subnetmask secondary nexthop 2

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul this is exactly what I was looking for, now say for instance this route is now active, and the MPLS connection comes back online, what happens? Is that route still forwarding the traffic over the site to site VPN? or does it know when that interface changes from down to up?

hello

If the inferface is down then the ip sla sourced address isn't available and it will failover to the higher admin of the secondary static.

You can also invoke object tracking with ip sla

track 10 rtr 10 reachability
 delay down 30 up 30

or just use object tracking without ip sla:

Track 10 interface x/x ip routing | line-protocol
delay down 30 up 30

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul,

Another question, so I setup track 10 on int 4/4 on line protocol status, but is even necessary? Could I just add a second route, ie 10.120.1.1 255.255.0.0 10.200.0.10 2? What direction would you go?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card