cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing with 4507R

jplowick3
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have an AT&T Opt-e-man connection which is connected to my main router. There are 3 vlans which go over it to 3 separate remote sites. We are upgrading the speed of the connection and moving it to fiber. So, since my router doesn't support fiber (only a 3745), I'm going to bring it into my 4507R with a Sup II+ modules. My questions is how to transfer the sub-interface configuration that is on the router, over to the switch? Routing is already enabled since we have other VLANs.

Would something like this work on the 4507R? Port G1/1 will be connected to the providers access switch via 1000base-SX fiber.

interface Vlan30

description Location1

ip address 10.1.0.1 255.255.255.252

interface Vlan31

description Location2

ip address 10.2.0.1 255.255.255.252

interface Vlan32

description Location3

ip address 10.3.0.1 255.255.255.252

interface g1/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 30,31,32

switchport mode trunk

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joe

What you have got here looks good to me.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I have just one question. Are these vlans created just for the interfaces because the Mask is 255.255.255.252 and this mask will only allow 2 hosts on each vlan

My guess is that he is using the /30's for his WAN transits as they are all trunked.

There must be other VLAN's for LAN's that have not been included.

only the gi1/1 is a trunk port and the vlans are allowed over these trunk ports

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know if this is relevant but the 3700 supports the NM-1GE (using GBIC). It requires 12.2(11)YT IOS.

These VLANs are for our WAN segments only, hence the /30 mask. Also, these VLANs are what AT&T uses to separate traffic going out the opt-e-man connection to the different remote sites. The remote sites have their own subnets. Currently our router has a trunk port coming from AT&T's switch with sub-interfaces for each VLAN. I just need to translate that into what would be needed on the switch since it doesn't support sub-interfaces.

I looked into the gigabit interface for the router itself. But we didn't go that route due to several reasons: 1) it would cost several thousand dollars to add a fiber interface to the router. It only costs a few hundred for a GBIC for the switch. 2) My vendor didn't really recommend pushing that much traffic through the router. Granted on a normal day we don't tax the links at all, but backups can really take their toll. 3) We are running out of room on the router for another module.

Thanks everyone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card