cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

run ntp from a rfc 1918 interface

firemtngems
Level 1
Level 1

My default GW to my ISP is in the private address space per rfc 1918. How should I configure NTP for the router through that interface? All my NTP packets are sourced from 192.168.x.x and won't route out.

Thanks,

Mike

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

There might be a couple of options that would work for you. I have configured routers that connect to an ISP and we configured the router to query NTP from the ISP router. That was simple, direct, and worked quite well.

Another option is to change the address that the router uses as the source address in the NTP request. The router will default to using the address of the outbound interface, but this can be changed. There is a command ntp source by which you instruct the router to use the address from some other interface as the NTP source address. This should work assuming that you have some interface on the router with a routable IP address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Bingo, that was it. Thanks rburts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card