Replies

RV130W - VPN Works - Very Slow

ACETech
Level 1
Level 1

Router: RV130W

firmware: latest

VPN: standard

Due to a ISP static IP route issue, this VPN took two weeks to get connected.   So this morning was a happy time when the warehouse workstation connected to the main office file server and the specialty labels were able to print.

However - the speed is horrible.  I would say 3-5 times longer than when they were using gotomyPC.  And when the labels printed - it would print two rows of labels, then pause for 15-20 seconds before printing two more lines (we timed it).   Normally these print as fast as the dot matrix printer can spit them out.

Suggestions on fine tuning the VPN.   Note that the VPN was setup with the defaults.

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Hello,

MTU size could be causing this. The default is 1500, try and change it to 1452, or 1400.

Page 23 of the user guide tells you how to change that setting:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv130w/admin_guide/en/rv130w_admin_en.pdf

i googled info on the ISP (Comcast) and PPPoE and it is stated that the ISP does not use this.  It also recommended using AUTO for PPPoE.   I will be at the site Monday morning and was wondering of other settings that might also be tweaked...    Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.

Hello,

under QoS --> Bandwidth Management, check the Enable field and enter the upstream and downstream values provided by your ISP. The procedure is detailed on page 100/111 of the user guide (in the QoS) section:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv130w/admin_guide/en/rv130w_admin_en.pdf

tired 1452 and 1400 with no difference in speed.

also noticed that when doing a trace route from router to other router public ip address that I always had a timeout at hop 7.  will call cable company to discuss.

on a cisco vpn3 g2g solution powerpoint that I found, it mentioned setting the MTU to 1300.  i don't know how old the PPT is.

anything else to try?   i will probably call Cisco tech support tomorrow and ask also.

thanks.

Hello,

have you tried the QoS --> Bandwidth Management suggestion ? Did that make a difference ?

will need to get with ISP on what these values are; 

i'm wondering if the WAN configuration shouldn't be set back to default (automatic configuration - DHCP instead of static IP)?

Hello,

for now, type in any value that approximates what you think is right. It doesn't matter, it is just to tell the router what the bandwidth is to work with. It cannot do any damage, and might immediately remedy the issue.

sorry to be dense on this subject;

i spoke with the ISP and they could only tell me that our locations have these bandwidths: 

Office 25 down / 10 up

Warehouse 16 down / 3 up

The router has upstream at 10240 and downstream at 40960

Hello,

I would, to be on the safe side, test both IP addresses (the public IP addresses on both ends of your VPN):

http://www.ip-tracker.org/check/internet-speed.php

I'll check for other possible causes...

Hello,

make sure that both Phase 1 and Phase 2 encryption algorithm are set to AES-128 as described in the document below. 

Also, double check if your settings match on both sides (for everything, not only the encryption algorithm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card