Views
Helpful
Replies

saa voip udp operation

rabeder
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

we have a 7206 router which does saa jitter operation measurement for about 50 access-location.

to one location we had a 2mb/s fr link and the mos value was 4,06.

we have this value from hp-ov which reads out the mib from the 7206.

today i upgraded the link to this location to 10mb/s (eth) - but the mos value did not change at all.

i know that 4,06 is ggod, but in my logical point of understanding i thought that if i have 5 times a quicker connection - it should be recognizable - although the jitter value which we also measure has decreased a lot

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

MOS of ISDN (PCM) is 4.1 to my knowledge. so I would assume you can not get better than that!? I do not know however, how HP-OV does the calculation.

Regards, Martin

hi,

thx f answer,

but what do u mean with isdn (PCM) - the connection i am talking is a ethernet to ethernet with a siemens voip equipment.

there is no isdn .

thx

Hi,

I mean, that the PCM (G.711) codec, which is normally used for Ethernet to Ethernet VoIP would not provide a MOS better than 4.1 (as far as I remember). PCM is also used with ISDN (64 kbps) telephony.

As you need to digitize an analog signal (voice) there needs to be a codec (coder - decoder). Depending on your codec of choice MOS values above 4 are not possible. And with PCM you get around 4.1 - so 4.06 should be close to the optimum. The underlying reason is, that digitizing usually involves degradation of voice quality. "Normal" telephones f.e. will cut off any frequencies outside 300 Hz - 3.4 kHz.

The question is, however, how HP-OV measures MOS and whether the two values are comparable. Between which values could those MOS values from HP-OV potentially be? Normally MOS is on a scale from 1 (unusable) to 5 (very good).

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card