cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

same information to 4 hosts

denaumcisco
Level 1
Level 1

there is some way of my router (2811) receive a packet from a workstation in a interface A and send this packet to 4 servers in interface B?

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, with the use of multicast.

The servers will join a multicast group and the workstation will send a packet to the multicast group instead of unicast directly to the servers.

You need an application that supports multicast for this to work.

HTH,

__

Edison.

An application in the router or did you mean in my application?

Sorry, can you explain to me?

Thanks

An application residing on both the workstation and the servers.

There isn't any feature available in the routers to duplicate a packet.

For entry level information on Multicast, this wiki should help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast

HTH,

__

Edison.

The problem is that one side I cant change anything, this side aways send a packet to one IP ( I was think about the router) and that equipament will send to the 4 servers or if the workstation send a packet to server 1, the "router" catch the packet and send to the others server too

Any sugestion?

I don't have any other suggestion. A router can not fulfill this requirement.

__

Edison.

Ok Thanks Edison

Do you know what firewall I can do that?

I don't think a firewall can do this either. Replication of packets is something that is generally avoided.

Best bet would be some kinda of load balancer but replication is not their primary function either.

No, firewall is more limited than the router in term of IP Application services.

The closest thing a router can do is SLB (Server Load Balancing).

Please take a look at this document and let us know if it meets your needs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_slb_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks again Edison, taking advantage of the opportunity, do you know if I can put a regular pci network interface on Pix 525? Which model?

Thanks

Not recommended and unsupported by Cisco. You should order the proper replacement via your Cisco reseller.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card