Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure Login in Router

ravinder.bora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Please help ....how can i secure to my Internet router [connected with ISP-Edge Router-Cisco 2900] as when i check that who are login in my router then showing maximum china IP's login in my router. 

I am also login in this router from remotely so I Cant block telnet or SSH so how can i protect with unwanted login.

Regards,

Ravinder Bora

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

There are a few ways to go about this. The simplest is to cut off all telnet access and secure SSH access so that it can only be accessed from your location. Something like this will work:

ip access-list extended ACL_WAN
 permit tcp host x.x.x.x any eq 22
 deny tcp any any range 22 23
 permit ip any any
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0 (or whichever your WAN is)
 no ip unreachables
 no ip redirects
 ip access-group ACL_WAN in

Replace x.x.x.x with the address that you're managing this from and everyone else will be locked out.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

There are a few ways to go about this. The simplest is to cut off all telnet access and secure SSH access so that it can only be accessed from your location. Something like this will work:

ip access-list extended ACL_WAN
 permit tcp host x.x.x.x any eq 22
 deny tcp any any range 22 23
 permit ip any any
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0 (or whichever your WAN is)
 no ip unreachables
 no ip redirects
 ip access-group ACL_WAN in

Replace x.x.x.x with the address that you're managing this from and everyone else will be locked out.

If you really need to login from outside random IPs, then you can:

1. Disable Telnet and only use SSH.
  2. Strengthen the used crypto.
  3. Deploy strong AAA, possibly with a central radius-server.
  4. Configure local authentication and make sure that all passwords are extremely strong and change your login to rsa-based login.
  5. If there are also many bots that fill up your logs with login attempts, then change the SSH-port to something unusual.
  6. For local AAA, configure Login-Block.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card