Helpful
Replies

Separate Voice and Data on different ISP's

jgarrison2986
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 2911 with all traffic currently leaving S0/0/1:0

I have hooked up cable internet to port GI0/1 and would like to have all data traffic leaving this port while all voice traffic continues to leave on S0/0/1:0

I read that I would be able to do this with PBR and Route-map with an ACL but don't quite understand how to make it happen. If anybody could spend a few minutes with me I would greatly appreciate it.

1 Reply 1

Joseph Nelson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi jgarrison,

Post your topology. I can explain it to you. Basically with PBR you need the following:

• Create an access-list ( can be extended if you want) that identifies the flow ( i.e. source/destination, source port/dst port, etc)
  • Create a route-map, set the match statement and set your next-hop statement
  • Apply it to the interface where you expect the source traffic will arive

I assume that the data and voice traffic arrive on separate logical interfaces on the router ( i.e. sub-interface, separate physical interface, etc). In your case, if the voice arrives on gi0/0 and data on gi0/3:

config t

ip access-list extended policy-route-voice

permit ip x.x.x.x any

permit ip <voice_net2> any

permit ip <voice_net3> any

permit ip <voice_netn> any

end

config t

route-map rmap-policy-01 permit 10

match ip address policy-route-voice

set next-hop <ip address>

end

config t

int gi0/0

ip policy route-map rmap-policy-01

end

Of course, if your sure voice traffic ONLY arrives on a single interface gi0/0, then you need not even specify an access-list, if no "match" statement is provided in the route-map it matches everything. So the whole config simplifies to:

config t

route-map rmap-policy-01 permit 10

set ip next-hop <ip address>

end

config t

int gi0/0

ip policy route-map rmap-policy-01

end

Caveats:

• PBR configuration doesn't care if the next-hop is actually up or not. You will black-hole your voice traffic if the next-hop fails. There are techniques to overcome this ( particularly involving the "default next-hop configuration. Basically you use IPSLA+Track to inject a more specific route. If the IP SLA fails, the more-specific route is withdrawn and the default next-hop applies.)
  • Don't be tempted to use the "set next-hop interface" command if your destination is not link-local (i.e. the destination is some internet address(es). Your router will send ARP replies forever on the interface specified by the "set next-hop interface" command
  • If your voice/data arrive on the same interface ( say you have soft phones on your desktop), then you will need the extended ACL configuration. You only need to identify the voice traffic, the data traffic will pass through the PBR

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card