cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Separating Layer2 and Layer 3 Traffic Between 2 Sites

zebranutz80
Level 1
Level 1

I need assistance separating Backup Data from Standard Data on a DR Project I'm working on.

We have 2 sites.  Currently the sites are connected via T1 (Layer 3).  We installed a 300Mbps Fiber connection between the 2 sites.  This fiber connection is layer 2. 

The 300Mbps link is dedicated for Backup traffic only.  I need to make sure that the traffic that currently routes over the T1's continues to route over the T1's after I activate the 300MB fiber link.  My fear is that all the traffic routing over the T1 will re-route over the Fiber connection after it is activated.  I need to ensure the fiber link is used for Backup Data only. 

The backup data from SITE A backs up to a single server at SITE B.  The fiber link should only be communicating with the server at SITE B.

CURRENT TOPOLOGY

(SITE A) Data Servers > 6509 Core > Router > T1>>>>>>>>>>>>T1 > Router > 6506 Core > Backup Server  (SITE B)

NEW TOPOLOGY

Router > T1>>>>>>>>>>>>T1 > Router

/                                                          \

(SITE A) Data Servers  >  6509 Core                                                                6506 Core > Backup Server  (SITE B)

\                                                          /

300MB Fiber>>>>>>>>>>300MB Fiber

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it is a L2 link then simply don't allow a routing protocol across the L2 link between the 2 6500 switches. That way the 6500s in both sites will not have any routes across the L2 link.

If the vlan on the L2 link also has servers etc. that you need normally routed via the T1 link then you will need to look at PBR (Policy Based Routing) to force traffic for that vlan to the T1 connection.

Jon

The L2 link on the backup site will have a Backup Server plugged into the same core at that site.

I'm investigating simply using VLANs.  Could I create "VLAN XYZ" on both core switches and assign the new VLAN to ports used for the Fiber connection and Backup Servers?

Right now the Core Switch on SITE A is a VTP Domain Server.  The Core Switch at SITE B is in Transparent VTP mode.

zebranutz80 wrote:

The L2 link on the backup site will have a Backup Server plugged into the same core at that site.

I'm investigating simply using VLANs.  Could I create "VLAN XYZ" on both core switches and assign the new VLAN to ports used for the Fiber connection and Backup Servers?

Right now the Core Switch on SITE A is a VTP Domain Server.  The Core Switch at SITE B is in Transparent VTP mode.

Yes, basically create the new vlan on both switches and then assign the fibre ports into that vlan. If the servers have separate NICs for this backup connection then simply assign their ports into the same vlan.

If you can use a new vlan just for this and the servers do have separate NICs that can just be allocated into this vlan it becomes even easier.

Like i say the key thing is to make sure the 6500 switches do not exchange routes across the fibre link.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card