Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Down Down

kevmac1979
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I'm currently trying to connect my 2800 router over sat com and my serial ports are down down i have looked into it and at the bottom of my "show int s0/0/0" it reads the following.

DCD=down DSR=down DTR=up RTS=up CTS=down.

I kind of understand that it means it something to do with the card but i'm very new to this and just want to get it to work and send data.

when I get communication over the WAN the "conn" light on the serial port comes on for a few seconds and then goes off even though the link is up.

Any help please would be great.

8 Replies 8

kevmac1979
Level 1
Level 1

Points to note:

i'm using a cisco x.21 to serial cable and have tried swaping them, but i've only two.

The LAN works fine internally but we can't get out.

EPHRAIM MANI
Level 3
Level 3

check with Sat com if that interface is providing/generating the clock for the interface, also provide show controller output from the router for more information.

HTH

~EM

the Sho controller brought up this

int serial 0/0/0

hardware is Gt96K

DTE V.11 (x.21) idb at 0x441D9204, data structure at 0x441E09AB

wic_info 0x441E0FCC

Physical port1 SCC Num 1

MPSC registers are all 0

I haven't the ability to copy the screen to here and i don't really know what i'm looking at. sorry its not much help but I am new to this.

Kev, can you please share sh run itn s0/0/0 output, with that said i understand you need to check with Sat com guys if the interface needs to set the clock or or there general  setup.

Thanks,

~EM

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Kev McDonald wrote:

HI,

I'm currently trying to connect my 2800 router over sat com and my serial ports are down down i have looked into it and at the bottom of my "show int s0/0/0" it reads the following.

DCD=down DSR=down DTR=up RTS=up CTS=down.

I kind of understand that it means it something to do with the card but i'm very new to this and just want to get it to work and send data.

when I get communication over the WAN the "conn" light on the serial port comes on for a few seconds and then goes off even though the link is up.

Any help please would be great.

DCD = Data Carrier Detect

DSR = Data Set Ready

Those two items being down indicate an issue with your NTU (the satcom device) - it's not indicating that it's ready to communicate, nor that it has carrier (I.E. a link with the other end).

Can you post the output of "show run int s0/0/0"

Cheers

rsavena14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kev,

DCD = down usually tells you that there is no signal comming from the NTU. It might be a ntu issue or cable problem.

kevmac1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying, It turns out the sat com guys didn't have a proper link. But us IT guys take the blame lol.

Cheers

Okay

~EM

Ephraim Mani

Sent via wireless device

Cell# +91 9810350482

Google Voice# +1 972-836-6035

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card