Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Int config

rhltechie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

A quick question on serial interfaces. Is it really necessary to have sub interfaces on point-to-point connections? I understand the need when running ATM or frame or something of the sort, but for a standard ppp config with one ip? why would you need to confuse things any farther? i keep seeing configs with sub interfaces and just wonder if i am doing something wrong or what.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

ekiriakos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Perhaps someone else may correct me, but to the best of my knowledge you can't configure subinterfaces on a ppp link. Can you post the config?

I agree with you, I am all for keeping things simple..-)

Rgds

E.

The following is from an ATT router config guide:

interface serial x/y:z

ip address

encapsulation ppp

no peer neighbor-route

no cdp enable

framing c-bit

dsu mode 0

dsu bandwidth

Now by no means am I saying that the guide is correct, but I just wanted to make sure as this is supposed to help me, not confuse things! ;)

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Sure, there's nothing wrong with configuring a PPP serial connection with an IP.

example:

interface Serial0

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

HTH,

Bobby

So I suppose its really up to the person doing the configuring? lol

I just wanted to make sure I was not going against some age old cisco "best practice". the way i see it, i just want to keep things as simple as possible!

thanks

jarathbu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For a basic "non-channelized" point-to-point ckt connection you do not need to have subinterfaces. If you have say a T1 controller or external CSU/DSU you can add an IP to the repsective Serial interface an add whatever encapsulation you like.

However, if you have a circuit that has channelized connections off of it you will need the subinterfaces (e.g you have a T3 that is channellized into 28 T1s (all point-to-point) you would need to have that many sub-interfaces).

HDLC is default encap type for Serial interfaces. If the enccap matches both ends you should be okay. You don't need a subinterface for PPP to work either.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

Hi James,

I thought those were classed as logical interfaces and not subinterfaces.

Rgds

E.

Hi,

I think your point of confusion with the config you supplied is that you are thinking that the 'z' refers to a sub-interface number. That is not the case. The 'z' refers to a channel-group neighbor.

interface serial x/y:z

ip address

encapsulation ppp ...

When you have interfaces such as a T1 or an E1, you can configure multiple channels on them, as follows:

controller e1 0/1

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-10

channel-group 2 timeslots 11-20

Each of the channel-groups will result in the creation of a serial interface. For example, for the above case, the serial interfaces would be:

serial0/1:1 ! for channel-group 1

serial0/1:2 ! for channel-group 2

Each of the above is a physical (main) interface, not a sub-interface.

Note that when using T1 cards with builtin CSU/DSUs you don't get the ability to configure the T1 controller - all the config appears under the serial interface.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card