cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

serial line utilization

sadam2006
Level 1
Level 1

can any body help me coz i want to know the actual utilization on a serail interface i wnat to know the amount of traffic any thing helpfull or how i can get the best of information from the sho command

2 Replies 2

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can get this information from the 'show interface' command. It is best to configure the following under the serial interface though: 'load-interval 30'. That means that the output of 'show int' will display a 30-second moving average which is a reasonable good estimate of current traffic on the link.

Paresh.

PS. Pls do remember to rate posts

I believe that Paresh has given good advice to get you started with this. I would add one thing: the show interface command shows transmit load and received load calculated on what it believes the bandwidth of the interface to be. If you are looking for the most accurate information then you can get more accurate information by looking at the show interface output and focusing on the byte count. Do a show command (note what time it is when you do the command), wait a short amount of time, do the show command again,, use the difference in byte count to get a real measurement of the amount of traffic that has gone through. This will allow you to calculate really accurate measurement of the load on the interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card