cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Link Encapsulation

ncasey777
Level 1
Level 1

Textbooks like to go through the steps of what happens to a packet as it goes from client to server through a single router. This always makes sense...The client application payload gets handed down the TCP/IP stack to layer 3, layer 2, etc., then back up at the other end.

In the scenario, the client sends the packet to the default gateway which terminates on the router's Ethernet interface. The router sees the MAC address as its own, so it inspects the destination IP address and looks it up in the routing table to find out the outgoing router interface to send the packet. Here the scenario always shows what happens when the outgoing is an Ethernet interface...it ARPs the MAC address of the destination server because Ethernet NEEDS to know the destination MAC in order to build the frame. This makes perfect sense.

What happens though, if it is to go to an outbound serial interface? Whereas Ethernet requires a HARDWARE MAC address to send the frame... what does a SERIAL output buffer look for as a "hardware destination address" in order to package the layer 2 frame and send it on its way? I'm thinking we could be sending data via HDLC, PPP, Frame Relay(point-to-point and multipoint). For HDLC, PPP will it always just be a broadcast address? For Frame, will it use local DLCI?

3 Replies 3

Your understanding of all three encapsulations is correct.

Refer to RFC 1661 for PPP and I don't know the RFC for frame relay and you should be able to look it up on google.

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_PPPGeneralFrameFormat.htm

HTH

Sundar

Thanks.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The adjacency table contains the layer 2 information you are talking about. The adjacency table is populated with data from the ARP table, the Frame Relay map table, and other tables of this type. The show adjacency command displays the adjacency table. (Its more advanced than the ARP table as it contains the entire layer2 header instead of having the destination layer 2 address and the outgoing interface only like the ARP table)

In simple words, Adjacency table contains a prebuilt Frame header for the next hop toward the destination, according to the routing decision the appropriate adjacency entry is used.

Pleas try to issue show adjacency on a router having different layer 2 technologies to see this.

I hope that i've been informative.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card