cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Number

aramaphosa
Level 1
Level 1

How do you check for a serial number on a Cisco router (2600, 2500,1700,1600) without physically going there?

Thanks

AR

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Show diag, show inventory.

Hope it helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi

The sh diag works on 16 and 17's.

But what must i use for 25 and 26's?

Thanks

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

AR,

Unfortunately there are no commands which will show the chassis serial number for the routers mentioned above.

The Module serial numbers can be obtained by using the sh diag command.

THe show version command shows the processor board serial number and not the chassis serial number.

In the new ISR range of routers & switches, there is a new command "Sh Inventory" which shows the chassis serial numbers.

This command though supported on the 2600 routers with the new versions of IOS, it still shows the processor ID as against the serial numbers

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

mlitka
Level 2
Level 2

Check out this link to locate the physical serial number on the unit itself:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/CPI/index.do

This will be helpful as you may need to direct someone to find the serial number for you.

I would recommend using the snmp-server chassis-id command after you obtain it from the physical hardware to record it logically on the gear. Once this has been done, going forward you can do a 'show snmp-server' and the chassis-id field will be populated correctly with the device's serial number.

An easy technique that is really a best-practice. My rate, a '5'.

sh inventory and sh diag will give you serial number of router listed by you.

rate it plz.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card