cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serious bug route-map on IOS?

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

I got serious problem regarding route-map. the issue was that  the route-map doens't work correctly even applied.

according to check, some route-map statement doens't contain 'prefix' which already removed. but, route-map have.

when I remove that route-map, then the route-map was worked properly as intended.

the key point is that the prefix-list was removed, but, route-map is still referring it. when we removed useless route-map, then the route-map started working.

7 Replies 7

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

I think this is expected behavior. Prefix lists and access list have a default of deny if you don't add any statements to it. When you reference a prefix-list or ACL that is not there then the action would be to deny. It depends on the design of your route-map as well but if you had something like:

route-map xyz permit 10

match ip address prefix-list abc

And there is no prefix-list abc then all prefixes would be denied from being permitted meaning they would move on to the next clause. In this case there is no other clause and there is always an implicit deny at the end of the route-map so no prefixes would make it through.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Thanks for heads up for this issue.

I missed the sequence of route-map. problematic route-map was sequenced under normal route-map. this normal route-map was intended to block the traffic. However, right below route-map not contained prefix-list caused the problem.

So, we had to remove it, and the entire route-map was started working.

route-map To_BB1 permit 10 <- which is normal to block sending unwanted prefix to BB1

!

route-map To_BB1 permit 15 <-  this route-map didn't contain prefix-list, caused problem.

I think you can have a test with dynamips or so :-)

Hi Daniel,

I am afraid you are incorrect with your following statement.

"route-map xyz permit 10

match ip address prefix-list abc

And there is no prefix-list abc then all prefixes would be denied from being permitted."

If a "route-map xyz permit 10" has a match clause for an access-list or prefix-list; and that access-list or prefix-list doesn't exist in the configuration than all prefixes are permitted, nothing is denied. And for that matter if, there is no match statement in the route-map and route-map sequence is permit action then also all prefixes is permitted."

-Vishesh

That's not what I said but you are correct. I tested it and if there is no prefix-list then all prefixes are allowed through.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

So, guys, is this expected behavior?

the prefixs are being allowed even though blocking clause is above of 'empty route-map' doesn't contain actual prefix-list ?

my point is why the prefix has been allowed even though prior route-map is denying to send prefix to another bgp peer.

If the route-map invokes as per sequence, then the prefix should be filtered regardless of next clause.

Hi Syjeon,

We do not suggest to make on th efly changes to an access-list or prefix-list, which is applied in a route-map, this can show some unpredictable behavior.

There are some bugs, with certain platforms mostly on IOS-XE codes. I would like to know your initial configuration and the change you made, that triggered the event. Also, information about the platform and IOS version, before I answer that it is a bug or not.

Also, what was this route-map filtering, ebgp, ibgp, eigrp etc. incoming or outgoing routes?

-Vishesh

Hi Verma,

I understand that it's not right route-map config. but, I don't understand this kind of error even though the 'deny' route-map was located above of problematic route-map. here is config was we performed.

Below is partial of config caused the issue.

ip prefix-list TOBB#1 seq 3 deny 10.0.0.0/8 le 32
!
route-map TOBB#1 permit 15
match ip address prefix-list TOBB#1
!
route-map TOBB#1 permit 20
match ip address prefix-list aggregate
!
! no exist for aggregate prefix-list

after we realized route-map didn't work as intended, we removed route-map #20
and then, everythings worked fine.

in common sense, th route-map should not affect to work route-map # 15? so, route-map # 15 should work regardless of route-map # 20. but, it was not. it didn't work properly before we remove route-map # 20.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card