Views
Helpful
Replies

setting priority over the WAN links

raju
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a remote office which is connected with HQ through two leased lines (2MB & 128 KBPS ) as shown in the diagram. Both the lines are terminated in two separate Routers and we are doing the load balancing now between two lines. Now , we would like to configure in such a way that 2 MB line will be given high priority for WAN traffic along with load balancing feature and in case 2MB is down ,all the traffic will be moved to 128 K.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,

Raju

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Raju,

The best option in your case, given the big difference in link size, is to go for a primary/backup scenario with a floating static pointing out the 128k interface.

The alternative, if you really want it, is to use EIGRP with a variance parameter that will allow you to do unequal-cost load-sharing over the 2 links. With careful tuning, you can come up with traffic-sharing with a 2000:128 ratio which would work well for you.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hi,

You can use primary/backup scenario that is in the primary interface (2Mbps) you configure backup interace as secondary (128 kbps) interface. Also mention backup load. So if load exceed limit or primary link is down the secondary link will automatically come up.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,

Kannan.S.T.

raymond.sayo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I believe we have the same setup. We have over 25 remote sites and what we use is HSRP.

Raymond

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card