Replies

Setting up Branches on same subnet

waguilar71
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Question...

I have about 8 branches on the following network, 172.16.1.0/28

The intial site is on .1, .2, .3, and so on. We now have a new branch we would like to tie into our network using a .22 address. In order for it to be part of the network of the branches it would have to have an address within the .240 mask or it will not see the rest of the branches am I correct? I know that the address block the branches are on go from 0-15 and with a .22 it would be on the 16-31. I would have to setup the .22 address on the next subnet (.248) am I correct and then set a static route for it be seen at all the branches?

Thanks everyone

3 Replies 3

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mate,

Can you add a diagram of your current network, as well as the additional branch. So we can get a clearer understanding of what you are trying to achieve?!  

thanks

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Kevin P Sheahan
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Wilfredo,

The subnet that you've specified (172.16.1.0/28) is usable from 172.16.1.1 through 172.16.1.14. So you are correct in stating that 172.16.1.22 will NOT be on the same subnet. Are all 14 of those available addresses being utilized? If not than a very simple solution would be to change the IP address of the connecting branch from their .22 to whatever is available between .1 and .14.

If all of those IP addresses are being used than more information will be necessary to help you as 'minkdennis' has stated.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349

Sorry everyone for my late response but I was able to explain to my boss that it would be best to keep our branches on the same subnet. We also spoke about changing our external subnet in order to have more addresses to cover all of our branches as well as future expansion. I appreciate all of your help in this matter.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card