Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

sh arp on router

i want to know that what show arp ip address command shows on the router.

if some one can explain we the output

of this command

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: sh arp on router

Within a LAN, devices communicate with mac-address. IP to Mac-add conversion is done by ARP.

Sh arp ip add tells whether the device is aware of any machine with such IP add & reflects its mac-add.

Bronze

Hi,

the output of sh ip arp on router looks like this

Protocol|Address|Age(min)|MAC|Type|Interface

IP |10.4.1.3|2|xxxx.xxxx.xxxx|arpa|fa 0/0

the above example tells me how to reach 10.4.1.3 host i need to go through fa 0/0 on router interface.(this interface might be the link to a switch) to get exact port on which the host is connected u can use the

sh mac-address-table command on switch and compare the mac address corresponding to the IP 10.4.1.3 and u can then find the corresponding port for that host.

HTH

Thanks

Raj

2 REPLIES

Within a LAN, devices communicate with mac-address. IP to Mac-add conversion is done by ARP.

Sh arp ip add tells whether the device is aware of any machine with such IP add & reflects its mac-add.

Bronze

Hi,

the output of sh ip arp on router looks like this

Protocol|Address|Age(min)|MAC|Type|Interface

IP |10.4.1.3|2|xxxx.xxxx.xxxx|arpa|fa 0/0

the above example tells me how to reach 10.4.1.3 host i need to go through fa 0/0 on router interface.(this interface might be the link to a switch) to get exact port on which the host is connected u can use the

sh mac-address-table command on switch and compare the mac address corresponding to the IP 10.4.1.3 and u can then find the corresponding port for that host.

HTH

Thanks

Raj

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content